Kansas City Repertory Theatre
POSITION: Production Manager
REPORTS TO: Artistic Director
JOB TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $73,000-$83,000
BENEFITS: KCRep provides a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability coverage. KCRep also provides a general PTO policy including 11 company holidays, 120 hours PTO and a paid company wide shut down during the holiday season.
The Production Manager leads the Production Department with support and collaboration from the Associate Production Manager, to manage all of KCRep’s productions. This includes productions in our two theatres, KCRep for All Tour, Community Engaged Productions, Education and Special Events. The Production Manager is a member of KCRep’s Leadership Team and engaged in collaborative leadership and strategic vision planning at KCRep.
• With support from the Associate Production Manager, lead the Production Department including supervision of personnel, budgets, and scheduling in collaboration with Scenic, Properties, Costume, Electrics, Sound Department Heads.
• Actively participate in fostering a work environment centering the core values of Kansas City Repertory Theatre.
• Actively demonstrate and help lead KCRep’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Anti-Racism values and initiatives.
• In collaboration with the Artistic and Production Teams develop, maintain, and facilitate the annual Production Budget.
• Schedule and lead Design and Production meetings with staff and creative teams, as well as postmortem discussions with KCRep production and artistic staff.
• Provide clear communication to both internal and external constituencies.
• Create in collaboration with the Marketing, Artistic and Education Departments the season calendar.
• Create and update Tech and Production schedules in coordination with Artistic and Stage Management Teams.
• Collaborate on Travel/Housing for visiting designers with the Company Manager
• Manage the tracking and assessment of the expenditures of each production as well as production supply lines to ensure that the budgets are adhered to and used efficiently. Manage, monitor, and approve all production related expenses.
• Organize, manage, and schedule on site design meetings and designer visits.
• Hire and coordinate onboarding over-hire and Run Crew.
• Act as liaison with the University of Missouri Kansas City Division of Theatre Production Manager to coordinate season schedules and use of shared spaces.
• Cultivate and promote a safe and inclusive working environment and ensure that all production and technical departments operate in accordance with current health and safety regulations and best theater practice.
• Foster interdepartmental collaboration for special events, theatre functions, gala.
Abilities and Attributes:
• Self-motivated and detail oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proficient with Office 365 computer programs and on-line meeting platforms such as Zoom.
• Good time management and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative workplace.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team within both the Production Department and the Staff as a whole.
• Ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities as well as manage multiple projects concurrently.
• Willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of a production schedule of a theater which includes a variety of hours including evenings and weekends.
• Ability to craft, manage, and oversee budgets.
Skills and Qualifications
• Training and experience serving in a management role in a production department at a theater, live event venue, or a related field.
• Enjoy creating and implementing new processes and working across departments.
• Experience in handling production and design processes on large scale productions.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Suite and Adobe PDF suite.
• Background in basic safety training, and safety specific to theatrical systems.
About Kansas City Repertory Theatre
To inspire, entertain, and open minds by creating transformative theatre experiences for all.
KCRep will be a catalyst for a culturally vibrant, equitable, and thriving Kansas City by connecting artists and audiences in a welcoming environment that fosters wonder, curiosity, and understanding.
We empathize with those around us, and we prioritize an environment grounded in empathy and generosity of spirit.
We welcome and include everyone. We are respectfully curious about others. We meet people where they are.
As individuals, teammates, and as an organization, we open our minds and hearts to new ideas, hard conversations, challenges, and growth.
We prioritize building a connected and united team. We collaborate internally and externally to share stories respectfully and joyfully on stage.
We create art, and community. We value the innovation it takes on and off stage to support this work.
Anti-Racism Statement and Action Steps
Following the social uprisings of summer 2020, KCRep publicly re-affirmed its commitment to the work of inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism (IDEA). Board and staff IDEA committees are collaborating to ensure that this work remains central to our theatre’s daily operations. The staff IDEA committee has established a list of recommendations including identifying and addressing barriers that obstruct IDEA practices; ensuring inclusive representation of the entire community across the organization; and cultivating community partnerships that demonstrate our commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism. KCRep’s IDEA statement and updates on our work are available online at kcrep.org/inclusion.
Interested candidates should apply at https://www.productionondeck.com/kcrep